Nigeria Customs Auctions 20,500 Litres of Seized Petrol, Warns Smugglers of Tougher Crackdown

Share...

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has publicly auctioned 20,500 litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) intercepted from suspected smugglers, reaffirming its determination to dismantle fuel smuggling networks and protect Nigeria’s economy.

The public auction, held on Monday at the Customs Training College, Ikeja, Lagos, followed the interception of the petrol by operatives of Operation Whirlwind across major smuggling routes in the Lagos/Ogun border corridor.

Speaking at the exercise on behalf of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, MFR, FNIPR, DSM, PSC(+), the National Coordinator of Operation Whirlwind said the seizure demonstrated the Service’s intensified campaign against the illegal diversion and cross-border smuggling of petroleum products.

He explained that Operation Whirlwind was established as a strategic national initiative to combat fuel smuggling, safeguard Nigeria’s energy security, protect government revenue, and ensure petroleum products meant for domestic consumption reach legitimate users instead of being diverted to neighbouring countries.

According to him, the seizure followed credible intelligence that exposed a coordinated smuggling syndicate operating along the nation’s borders.

“Our operatives successfully dismantled a coordinated network involved in the illegal exportation of PMS. During the operation, 820 jerry cans containing 25 litres each, amounting to 20,500 litres of petrol, were intercepted at identified smuggling flashpoints including Imeko, Ilara, Ilaro, Idiroko, and Seme-Badagry,” he said.

The operation also led to the seizure of five vehicles used in conveying the products. The combined Duty Paid Value (DPV) of the seized petrol and vehicles was estimated at ₦38 million.

The National Coordinator noted that the petroleum products scheduled for auction had been intercepted while being illegally transported for export, contrary to Nigeria’s laws regulating the movement and distribution of petroleum products.

He described petroleum smuggling as a major threat to Nigeria’s economy and national security, stressing that it deprives government of much-needed revenue, disrupts the domestic fuel supply chain, creates artificial scarcity, fuels criminal activities, and undermines reforms in the petroleum sector.

He explained that the public auction was conducted in line with legal provisions guiding the disposal of seized goods, ensuring transparency, accountability, and due process while returning the products to the legitimate domestic market instead of allowing them to re-enter illegal channels.

According to him, representatives of relevant government agencies, security organisations, civil society groups, and members of the media were present to ensure the auction process remained transparent and credible.

The National Coordinator commended the Office of the National Security Adviser, led by Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, for strengthening inter-agency collaboration that has enhanced the effectiveness of Operation Whirlwind.

He also praised the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) for providing technical expertise and regulatory oversight, while expressing appreciation to the Comptroller-General of Customs and the management of the Nigeria Customs Service for their leadership, policy direction, and continued support.

He equally lauded officers of Operation Whirlwind and partner security agencies for their professionalism, vigilance, and commitment, which he said made the successful interception possible.

Issuing a stern warning to fuel smugglers and economic saboteurs, the National Coordinator declared that Operation Whirlwind would continue to intensify intelligence gathering, surveillance, investigations, and enforcement operations across Nigeria’s borders.

He urged residents of border communities and members of the public to support security agencies with timely and credible information, describing the fight against smuggling as a shared national responsibility.

He added that the public auction reflected the Federal Government’s commitment to transparency and responsible management of seized petroleum products, while reaffirming its resolve to protect Nigeria’s petroleum resources and national economic interests.

“We remain committed to identifying, intercepting, investigating, and dismantling every network involved in petroleum smuggling. Together, we will eliminate petroleum smuggling and protect our national economy,” he said.

By Esther Komolafe